1. Are all non kosher foods haram ? I try my best to look at the ingredients if there is no kosher on it. Can I eat it if there is no kosher and the ingredients does not indicate any haram on it ?
2. I even look at muslim consumer group for products that are halal —> www.muslimconsumergroup.com Is it a reliable source for information on halal foods ?
3. I was brought up in Saudi and most of the restaurants use Sadiya chicken (from Brazil) which I presume is machine cut. We all eat from these places some times. Everyone says its served in makkah and madinah as well so it is halal. What would be your advice ?
In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.
1. At the outset, it is important to understand that kosher foods do not necessarily meet the requirements of halal. It will not suffice for you to regard food items as halal by searching for non-kosher or non-haram ingredients.
For more information with regards to kosher foods, kindly refer to the following link: http://askimam.org/public/question_detail/27049
Determining whether a particular food item is halal or haram is quite challenging due to the various ingredients found in our food industry. To ensure that one is consuming halal food items at all times, one must understand the content of the ingredients found in the products. It is best to contact the manufacturer and enquire about the ingredients from them. One should also contact a halal certifying organization who will advise whether the product is halal or haram.
Unfortunately today, not all the restaurants are halal in Mecca and Medina. Irrespective of the location where one is in, it is of utmost importance to ensure that one is consuming halal food. Allah Ta’ala says:
يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا كُلُوا مِنْ طَيِّبَاتِ مَا رَزَقْنَاكُمْ
Translation: O you who believe, eat from the pure things which We have provided you. (Quran 2:172)
One should exercise precaution with regards to consuming chicken provided from Sadia as its halal authenticity is highly doubtful. We advise that one should abstain from consuming their products.
2. You may use the website in reference in conjunction and confirmation with advice from your local Alim.
And Allah Ta’āla Knows Best
Fahad Abdul Wahab
Student Darul Iftaa
Checked and Approved by,
Mufti Ebrahim Desai