Home » Shafi'i Fiqh » Seekersguidance.org » Is It Permissible for Me to Marry My Maternal Cousin’s Son?

Is It Permissible for Me to Marry My Maternal Cousin’s Son?

Answered as per Shafi'i Fiqh by Seekersguidance.org

Answered by Ustadha Raidah Shah Idil

Question: Assalam aleykum,

I am a woman who has received a marriage proposal from my maternal cousin’s son. Is it permissible for me to marry him?

Answer:Assalamualaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

I pray this finds you well. May Allah reward you for reaching out to us.


It is permissible for you to marry your cousin’s son, as he is not mahram (permanently unmarriagable kin) to you.

I encourage you to enrol in and complete this course Marriage in Islam: Practical Guidance for Successful Marriages.


It sounds like in your culture, your cousin is like your sister, and so your cousin’s son would feel like your nephew. It’s important to clarify the difference here – legally, your cousin’s son is not your nephew, so it is permissible for you to marry him.

May Allah bless you with a loving and tranquil marriage, and bring you and your husband closer to Him.

Please see:

Who Is Mahram?
Love, Marriage and Relationships in Islam: All Your Questions Answered

[Ustadha] Raidah Shah Idil

Checked & Approved by Shaykh Faraz Rabbani

Ustadha Raidah Shah Idil has spent almost two years in Amman, Jordan, where she learned Shafi’i’ fiqh, Arabic, Seerah, Aqeedah, Tasawwuf, Tafsir and Tajweed. She continues to study with her Teachers in Malaysia and online through SeekersHub Global. She graduated with a Psychology and English degree from University of New South Wales, was a volunteer hospital chaplain for 5 years and has completed a Diploma of Counselling from the Australian Institute of Professional Counsellors. She lives in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, with her husband, daughter, and mother-in-law.

This answer was collected from Seekersguidance.org. It’s an online learning platform overseen by Sheikh Faraz Rabbani. All courses are free. They also have in-person classes in Canada.

Read answers with similar topics: