Can I skip making up missed prayers by taking a (non-existent) ‘Hanbali dispensation’?&

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by Qibla.com

Answered by Shaykh Faraz Rabbani

I read in an earlier reply that you said it is not necessary to stick to ones own madhab and in a case of difficulty can take an opinion of another. I have many years worth of prayers to make up yet I know that according to sound opinion from the hanbali madhab, make up for prayers missed intentionally cannot be made up but only sincere repentance should be sought. Can I follow this opinion?

Answer:
In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Walaikum assalam wa rahmatullah,

Ibn Qudama, Imam Nawawi, and many others have transmitted absolute scholarly consensus (ijma`) that it is obligatory to make up missed prayers and fasts. [See answers below.]

What you mention is certainly not a “sound opinion from the Hanbali madhab” as Shaykh Musa Furber explained in the answer below.

Wassalam,
Faraz Rabbani

This answer was indexed from Qibla.com, which used to have a repository of Islamic Q&A answered by various scholars. The website is no longer in existence. It has now been transformed into a learning portal with paid Islamic course offering under the brand of Kiflayn.

Find more answers indexed from: Qibla.com
Ad by Muslim Ad Network