Are all innovations bad? For example, my grandmother, before leaving on a journey, writes Bismi

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by Qibla.com

Answered by Not Assigned

Are all innovations bad? For example, my grandmother, before leaving on a journey, writes Bismillah on a piece of paper and puts it in her luggage. I’ve been told that this is innovation and thus bida.

Answer:
In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Walaikum assalam wa rahmatullah,

Innovations (bid`a, namely, ‘newly inaugurated matters not performed at the time of the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace)) are blameworthy and sinful when they go against the particular or general teachings of the Shariah.

In the given example, there is much proof that the Qur’an in general and the asked-about basmala in particular have tremendous baraka (blessings), and this makes them a source of protection and assistance, by the granting of Allah.

(Search for ‘innovations’ at www.sunnipath.com)

Wassalam,

Faraz Rabbani

This answer was indexed from Qibla.com, which used to have a repository of Islamic Q&A answered by various scholars. The website is no longer in existence. It has now been transformed into a learning portal with paid Islamic course offering under the brand of Kiflayn.

Find more answers indexed from: Qibla.com