Answered by Shaykh Hamza Karamali, SunniPath Academy Teacher
If one has make-up prayers to offer, is it permissible for him/her to combine prayers if the individual is traveling?
Wa Alaykum Asalaam
Yes, you may still combine prayers as a traveler while you still have make-up prayers to offer.
The conditions for combining prayers for travel are as follows: (see Reliancef15)
- Joining in the time of the first:
- That the trip be legitimate,
- that it be at least 81km./50 mi. one way,
- that the destination be known,
- (if shortening the prayer) that no part of the prayer be performed while following an imam who is praying the full number of rakas,
- that the trip continue until one finishes both prayers,
- that the first of the two prayers be prayed first,
- that the intention to join the two prayers occur before finishing the first, either coinciding with the opening Allahu Akbar, or occurring during the prayer.
- and that one not separate the two prayers by waiting between them, though a short interval (meaning one that contain two rakats of the briefest possible) is of no consequence, nor a brief search for water by someone who has performed dry ablution.
- (From Yaqut an-nafis) that one knows that joining the two prayers is permissible.
- The necessary condition for joining two prayers in the time of the second of them is that one makes the intention to do so before the end of the first prayer’s time. If one neglects this intention, one has sinned, and praying the first prayer’s time is considered making it up.