Does One Have to Make Up Prostrations of Recital Heard During Menstruation?

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by Seekersguidance.org

Answered by Ustadh Tabraze Azam

Question: Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Baraktuhu

I am a teacher at a Hifz school, and invariably each day one of my students recites an ayah which requires sajdah. Although I do make these sajdah as soon as possible, I was wondering what I should do on the days of the month when I cannot pray. Do I need to make these sajdahs up after my cycle is over?

Answer: Wa alaikum assalam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

I pray that you are well, insha’Allah.

According to the Hanafi school, it is not permissible, nor valid, to perform a prostration of recital (sajda al-tilawa) whilst one is in a state of menstruation (hayd) or post-natal bleeding (nifas).

Moreover, it does not enter one’s dues, therefore one would not be required to perform a prostration of recital (sajda al-tilawa) which one heard during one’s menstrual cycle (hayd) or whilst in a state of post-natal bleeding (nifas).

[Shurunbulali, Maraqi al-Falah; `Ala al-Din `Abidin, al-Hadiyya al-`Ala’iyya]

Hence, one would not have to make up any of these prostrations.

And Allah knows best.

Wassalam,

Tabraze Azam

Checked & Approved by Faraz Rabbani

This answer was collected from Seekersguidance.org. It’s an online learning platform overseen by Sheikh Faraz Rabbani. All courses are free. They also have in-person classes in Canada.

Find more answers indexed from: Seekersguidance.org