Authenticity of the narration regarding Mu’awiyah’s (radiyallahu ‘anhu) conversion to Islam

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by HadithAnswers.com

Question

I would like to know the grading of this Hadith:

Imam Ahmad (rahimahullah) has recorded a narration which indicates that Mu’awiyah (radiyallahu ‘anhu) accepted Islam before The Conquest of Makkah. Sayyiduna Mu’awiyah (radiyallahu ‘anhu) says, ‘I trimmed the hair of Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) at Marwah’.

(Musnad Ahmad, vol. 4 pg. 97)

Answer

Imams Abu Dawud and Ahmad (rahimahumallah) have recorded this narration.

(Sunan Abi Dawud, Hadith:  1798-1799 with slight variation in the wording and Musnad Ahmad, vol. 4 pg. 97)

The narrators are all reliable. In fact, the chain of narrators in Musnad Ahmad is the exact same chain that appears in Sahih Bukhari with the exception of one narrator i.e. The teacher of Imam Bukhari and Imam Ahmad (rahimahumallah).

(Refer: Sahih Bukhari, Hadith: 1730. Also see: Fathul Bari, Hadith: 1730, vol. 3 pg. 565/566)

And Allah Ta’ala Knows best.

Answered by: Moulana Suhail Motala

Approved by: Moulana Muhammad Abasoomar

This answer was collected from HadithAnswers.com. The answers were either answered or checked by Moulana Haroon Abasoomar (rahimahullah) who was a Shaykhul Hadith in South Africa, or by his son, Moulana Muhammad Abasoomer (hafizahullah), who is a Hadith specialist. 

Find more answers indexed from: HadithAnswers.com