What is meant by the term التنطع (At-tanattu’) in the following Hadith:
Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alayhi wasallam) has said: ‘Ruined are those who insist on hardship in matters of the Faith’.
Perhaps you are referring to the Hadith, هلك المتنطعون, which Imam Muslim and others (rahimahumullah) have recorded on the authority of Sayyiduna Ibn Mas’ud (radiyallahu ‘anhu).
(Sahih Muslim, Hadith: 2670)
Regarding this Hadith, the commentators of Hadith have mentioned a variety of different possible meanings for the word المتنطعون. Hereunder are a few:
- Those who take pains in coming across as more eloquent in their speech.
- Those who attempt to abnormally/unnaturally speak [deeper] from the bottom of their throat [or from their gut].
- Those who indulge and immerse themselves in such conversation that does not concern or pertain to them.
- Those who constantly inquire about intricate and difficult issues of jurisprudence that by nature are extremely farfetched and would rarely ever occur.
- Those who, due to extremism, are excessive in worship and have left the bounds of Shari’ah. [i.e. They have engaged in such actions that are neither commended nor acknowledged as virtuous by our Shari’ah]
- Those who transgress the bounds of Shari’ah through either their actions, statements, or both.
(Refer: Al-Minhaj, Hadith: 6725, Sharh Ibn Raslan, Hadith: 4608, Mirqat, Hadith: 4785, Faydhul Qadir, Hadith: 9594; Also see: Fathul Mulhim, Hadith: 6725)
For further explanations, commentary and detail, kindly refer to the aforementioned sources along with the other books of Hadith commentary.
And Allah Ta’ala knows best.
Answered by: Moulana Farhan Shariff
Approved by: Moulana Muhammad Abasoomar,
Every aspect of our Din is simple and easy. One should avoid making it difficult on one’s self or on others.
This answer was collected from HadithAnswers.com. The answers were either answered or checked by Moulana Haroon Abasoomar (rahimahullah) who was a Shaykhul Hadith in South Africa, or by his son, Moulana Muhammad Abasoomer (hafizahullah), who is a Hadith specialist.