Home » Hanafi Fiqh » HadithAnswers.com » Did Nabi (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) yawn?

Did Nabi (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) yawn?

Is it true that Nabi (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) did not yawn?

Answer

Imam Abu Bakr ibn Abi Shaybah (rahimahullah) has recorded the following narration with a reliable chain [mursalan] from the Tabi’i:

Yazid ibnul Asamm (rahimahullah) who says, “Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) never yawned in Salah”

(Musannaf Ibn Abi Shaybah, Hadith: 8065)

Hafiz Ibn Hajar (rahimahullah) has cited the following narration recorded by Imam Khattabi wherein Maslamah ibn ‘Abdil Malik (rahimahullah), a Tabi’i, says “No Nabi ever yawned”

(Fathul Bari, under Hadith: 6226)

Hafiz Ibn Hajar (rahimahullah) quotes Imam Ibn Sab’ who says:

‘Since yawning is from Shaytan [as recorded in Sahih Bukhari, Hadith: 6226], Nabi (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) was protected from this.’

(Also see: Ghayatus Sul Fi Khasaisir Rasul, pg. 301/302 and Al Khasaisul Kubra, vol. 1 pg. 117)

And Allah Ta’ala Knows best.

Answered by: Moulana Suhail Motala

Approved by: Moulana Muhammad Abasoomar

Checked by: Moulana Haroon Abasoomar

This answer was collected from HadithAnswers.com. The answers were either answered or checked by Moulana Haroon Abasoomar (rahimahullah) who was a Shaykhul Hadith in South Africa, or by his son, Moulana Muhammad Abasoomer (hafizahullah), who is a Hadith specialist. 

Hazraath e Ulama Ikram, Assalamualaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh. 1. I am facing a problem with my taharah, often I hesitate to pass urine because of this. After passing urine, I try my best to see to it that the last drop of urine is out, then wash with water, after this I walk for a short while on the place where I stand, again wash with water and come out. I use only the INDIAN toilet. After coming out I find some small drops of urine passing out, if I wash it with water, there will be a pressure to pass urine again. Because of this reasons my Prayers(Namaz) have been missing. I am really ashamed to narrate my problem personally to an AALIM, because looking at my face they would be shocked to hear such problems from me, as I ALHAMDULLIALAH have a big beard and wear Sunna’h cap always. I have a desire to become a HAFIZ E QURAN, my elders and other Buzrugs also motivate me in this, but the problem of taharah is being a hurdle for this. ALLHAMDULILLAH about 4 years back I have even lead the tarawih prayers in our masjid(in Bangalore) for the last 3 days of Ramadhan. But then for all these good things taharah is becoming a hurdle. I feel I donot know the way to achieve taharah, rather than feeling it is a problem related to my physical health. I perform WADU for every Salah, suspecting there should be a problem with my physical health(i.e Drops of urine continously passing out). I strongly feel this problem is due to lack of knowledge in achieving taharah after passing urine. I would humbly request you to guide me to get rid of this problem and pray to ALLAH that my problem of taharah is solved. Please pray for me that I become a good HAFIZ E QUARN, follow the Sharia’h properly and become a good DAEE E DEEN. I am really sorry for having written my such big problematic description. JAZAKALLAH U KHAIRAH.