Home » Hanafi Fiqh » DarulUloomTT.net » What are the procedures of Khula?

What are the procedures of Khula?

Is it possible to go to a mufti and get a KHULA without the husband agreeing to it also?

As Salaamu  Alaikum ,

1.Khula is among the legal rights which a wife has been given in Islam to bring an end to a marital relationship. It occurs when the wife gives a payment to the husband in return for a divorce/separation from him. When the wife offers a payment whether it be the Mahr which she got from him or anything more or less, and he accepts it and then releases her from the marriage while uttering words such as ‘I let you go’ or ‘I separate from you’ or other similar words, then the Khula occurs. This brings an end to the marriage and an irrevocable divorce takes place. The husband therefore, loses the right of reuniting with his wife, but both can remarry with mutual consent. The waiting period of khul’a is the same as that of divorce.

2.Khula occurs with the mutual agreement of both the husband and wife. Therefore, the wife cannot go to a Mufti and get a Khul’a without the husband agreeing to it. However, if the wife has valid grounds for seeking a separation from the husband, she can go to a Mufti or any other authorised body and ask for an annulment of the marriage with her husband. They will then look into the matter and bring about a separation between the husband and wife in accordance to the guidelines of the Shariah.

And Allah Knows best

Mufti Waseem Khan

3/01/2017

This answer was collected from DarulUloomTT.net, which is operated under the supervision of Mufti Waseem Khan from Darul Uloom Trinidad and Tobago.

This is regarding the Warasat of a property of my wife. Her grand father (Dada) had left huge urban and agricultural property in Meerut. He had four sons and three daughters and all of them were alive at the time of his death.. Her father was his eldest son who took charge of all the properties but he did not distribute the property during his life time. Her father expired, leaving behind four sons and three daughters. Her elder brother is now looking after the property. Now her brother has disposed off the agricultural property. He has distributed the earnings from the sale of the agricultural property to the families of his uncles (Chacha), because all of them (Chacha) have died now. Also he has distributed money from the share of her late father to all her brothers including himself but he refused to give it to his sisters. (Her two brothers and one sister have already expired.) He argues that in his family, daughters do not get share from the Warasat-property and it is at his sweet will to give or not to give any amount of money to his sisters. His wife (her Bhabi) also says that daughters do not get any share in the Aabai (inherited) property/residential house. I have the following quarries: 1. Whether a property in a Muslim family is distributed setting his/her own family rules or according to Shariah law? 2. If Shariah law provides right to daughters in the Warasat-property, how much per cent of the property can be given to a daughter from the property of her father? 3. Is Shariah law applicable to both the agricultural and urban properties? Kindly reply the above quarries according to Shariah Law. You may give reply in Urdu. Rehana Begum  

Haatum