Home » Hanafi Fiqh » DarulUloomTT.net » Name Of The Diacritical Marks Of The Quran

Name Of The Diacritical Marks Of The Quran

Answered as per Hanafi Fiqh by DarulUloomTT.net

Question: The word for the dots with the Arabic letters is nukta in Urdu. Is nukta also the Arabic word for those dots ?. I have read of an arabic word ” ijam ” which is used in Arabic to denote these dots so please tell me if this is correct and if possible write it in the Arabic script. Jazakallah.

Answer: As Salaamu Alaikum,

‘Nuktah’ is not the Arabic word for these ‘dots’ which are known as ‘diacritical marks or points’ of the Quran. In Arabic, these ‘dots’ are known as ‘ijam’ or  إِعْجَام.

And Allah Knows Best.

Mufti Waseem Khan.


This answer was collected from DarulUloomTT.net, which is operated under the supervision of Mufti Waseem Khan from Darul Uloom Trinidad and Tobago.

Read answers with similar topics: