1

What is the ruling of performing salah in front of a mirror?

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by Darulfiqh.com
Prev Question
Next Question

Question:

I perform salah in my bedroom in one corner.  There is a mirror in front of me in the qiblah direction.  What is the ruling if there is a mirror in front of me when performing salah?

Answer:

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.

When performing Salāh, in the Qiyām (standing) posture, one should keep his gaze fixated at the place where one’s face touches the ground in Sajdah (prostration).  Whilst in the Rukū’ (bowing) posture, one’s eyes should be locked onto one’s feet.  Whilst in the Qa’dah (sitting) posture, the eyes should be lowered to one’s lap.       

Having a mirror in front of oneself in itself will not result in karahāh (dislike) in one’s Salāh.[1]  However, if this draws one’s attention away and infiltrates one’s thoughts, then this will result in karahāh.[2]  

A person should specify another place for performing Salāh to prevent any disruption when performing Salāh.  

And Allah Ta’ālā Knows Best

Mufti Faraz Adam,
www.darulfiqh.com

[1]  أحسن الفتاوى ج 3 ص 413 أيج أيم سعيد

[2]   فِي الْمَكْرُوهَاتِ أَشْيَاءُ أُخَرُ ذَكَرَهَا فِي الْمُنْيَةِ وَنُورِ الْإِيضَاحِ وَغَيْرِهِمَا: مِنْهَا الصَّلَاةُ بِحَضْرَةِ مَا يَشْغَلُ الْبَالَ وَيُخِلُّ بِالْخُشُوعِ كَزِينَةٍ وَلَهْوٍ وَلَعِبٍ (رد المحتار ج 1 ص 654 أيج أيم سعيد)

This answer was collected from DarulFiqh.com, which is operated under the supervision of Mufti Faraz ibn Adam al-Mahmudi, the student of world renowned Mufti Ebrahim Desai (Hafizahullah).