Is It Obigatory to Forbid a Disliked Action?

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by Seekersguidance.org

Answered by Ustadh Tabraze Azam

Question: Assalaamu alaikum,

Is it obigatory to forbid a disliked action performed by someone else?

Answer: Wa alaikum assalam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

I pray that you are in the best of health and faith, insha’Allah.

In general, the basis in commanding the good and forbidding the evil is to do so of something which is agreed upon to be reprehensible in the Sacred Law. The principle here is: there is no condemnation in matters of disagreement.

Shaykh Faraz Khan writes, “With respect to matters on which there is scholarly disagreement, although they cannot be forbidden per se, one can still offer counsel and advice (nasiha), which is often needed as certain positions are not appropriate or applicable in all circumstances.” [see: The Criteria of Enjoining Good and Forbidding Evil]

However, if two persons follow the same school, and one of them does something reprehensible in that school, then the other person can forbid the wrong in such a circumstance.

An action which is improper (makruh tanzihan) would be proper to correct, if benefit is likely, and as per the conditions found in the aforementioned article.

I’d recommend the following class: Fiqh of Life: Essentials of Halal and Haram

See also: Book Q in the Reliance of the Traveller.

And Allah alone gives success.

wassalam,

Tabraze Azam

Checked & Approved by Shaykh Faraz Rabbani.

This answer was collected from Seekersguidance.org. It’s an online learning platform overseen by Sheikh Faraz Rabbani. All courses are free. They also have in-person classes in Canada.

Find more answers indexed from: Seekersguidance.org