All perfect praise be to Allah, The Lord of the Worlds, and may His peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all of his family and companions. The above compensations go under the umbrella of a social insurance system governed by regulations that make an employee`s best interest a first priority where monthly deductions from his salary are tantamount to insurance installments that become his once he receives them(Possess them). Accordingly, Zakah(Obligatory charity) is only due on the above along with their revenues when they reach Nisaab(Minimum amount liable for Zakah) and one lunar year elapses on possessing them. During its sixteenth session, the International Islamic Fiqh Academy adopted a resolution that read as follows: " Zakah of severance pay and retirement compensation isn`t due on an employee during his service because these sums aren`t actually received by him(not in his possession)." Similarly, Zakah is only due on pensionable salaries when they reach Nisaab and one lunar year elapses on them while in an employee`s possession. As regards the compensation from the savings fund, if the employee can take it whenever he wants, then he should pay its Zakah every year, but if he isn`t at liberty to do so, then he should pay its Zakah for one time only upon collecting it or being at liberty to do so." And Allah the Almighty knows best.
Zakah on Severance Pay, Retirement and Savings Compensation
What is the Islamic ruling on the Zakah on severance pay, retirement compensation, pensionable salaries, and savings compensation?
This answer was collected from the official government Iftaa Department of Jordan.
Find more answers indexed from: Darul Iftaa Jordan
- Please provide the Hadith that restricts menstruating women from entering the mosques. Also comment on the attached Sahih Hadith where women were ORDERED to come out to the mosques on the Day of Eid.
- Used Vehicle Warranty
- Status of turban and colour
- Maghrib Azaan commencing while one is performing Asr Salaah
- How Can I Make My Wife Happy When I Work, Cook, Clean and Tend to the Children?
- Rukhsatee after Nikaah
- If a Woman Files for Divorce Will It Be Treated As Talaq or Khula’?