Home » Shafi'i Fiqh » Darul Iftaa Jordan » Hawl of Saved Gold is that of the Money it was Bought with

Hawl of Saved Gold is that of the Money it was Bought with

Answered as per Shafi'i Fiqh by Darul Iftaa Jordan
A woman started buying gold liras on the 10nth of March 2011. By the end of September of the same year, the total number of liras became 41. When is Zakah due on them?

Answer:

All perfect praise be to Allah the Lord of the Worlds. May Allah`s peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Mohammad and upon all his family and companions.

Saved gold is liable for Zakah once it reaches the due Nisaab (Minimum amount liable for Zakah) and a Hawl (Lunar year) passes over possessing it. The Hawl of this gold is the same as that of the paper money, which reached Nisaab and the gold was bought with. For example, when the Hawl of the paper money is completed in Sha`ban and gold was bought with it-for saving-in Rajab, the Zakah of the gold is due in Sha`ban of the coming year, not Rajab. This is because the Illah (legal cause) which makes paper money liable for Zakah is the same which makes gold and silver liable for Zakah: both have a price.

Resolution No. (22, 6/5) of the Islamic Fiqh Academy states about the Zakah of paper money: "Zakah is due on paper money once it completes the Nisaab when added to gold, silver and tradable items." On this basis, the paper money, the tradable items, the gold and the silver have the same Hawl. Rather, jurists have stated that the Hawl of tradable items is the Hawl of their origin. I.e. the money with which they were bought. Consequently, this applies to paper money as well as the gold and silver bought with it. 

It is stated in "Al-Mawsoo`ah Al-Fiqhiyah, V.23: P.268": "The value of tradable items is added to that of gold and silver, then the Nissab of each is completed with it. Ibn Qhoddamah says: "There is no disagreement about this." Similarly, the same ruling applies to paper money in circulation." And Allah the Almighty knows best.

This answer was collected from the official government Iftaa Department of Jordan.

My husband and I have been married for 4 years alhamdulilah and we have a beautiful daughter. He came from a foreign country right before we got married. Now we have been living with my family since marriage. We fight over the smallest things and I always some how get stuck fighting between my family and him. Our mothers have prior problems (even though we have an arranged marriage) and it causes major issues between us. We both are very stubborn but I seem to be the only one giving in all the time and I always tell him it’s shaytaan causing problems but he ignores it and says I am the reason for the fight. At this point I’m really fed up with always fighting and all I do is cry. One of the major reasons we fight is because we don’t have our own place and he doesn’t want to move out of my parents home. Because of us living here, my brother had to move to his wife parents house because his wife says living in the same house as my husband would make her have to stay in purdah all the time, because of this my brother fights with me because he hates living there but he can’t afford living anywhere else. My husband tells me to ignore him, because his wife forces him to fight with us. Another reason is because both of us work and I am paying our bills and other expenses, even paying for our child, while he sends money to his family. If he’s the father, isn’t it his responsibility? Sometimes when we can’t afford something we have to use a credit card, which now started building interest. He always tells me how haraam interest is but he never does anything about it. All he says is i should stop wasting my money, because there is hisaab for every penny. I find this extremely unfair because I don’t want to work but I have to and I can’t even complete college because of that. And now that I am working, he says I should pay off the credit card bill since I am earning, even though he took part in making that bill. If I bring up the matter of “woman shouldn’t work” he says I am right and that I should make my father pay for my things (while he is sending money to his brothers and sisters). If I give money to my mom for babysitting my daughter, he asks why should you pay her, isn’t she the grandmother and then he compares it to his own mother watching her grandchildren just because they are her own. If i tell him that we need to settle down before helping others, he says I am heartless and it is a form of charity. I can’t argue with him or back up my concerns enough because I don’t know how to respond to everything (I’m kind of slow at responses). Allah has the best solutions but something makes me think he is falling back from his imaan. Is their any hadith or can you give a response about how the husband is responsible for his wife and kids before his brother and sisters? I know his father is retired and doesn’t have a reliable source of income to support the family but he has another brother who should also take part in helping with his father, but the brother also seems to be living off of us. How can I convince my husband to worry about his wife and kid and get us settled down because if we stay at this pace, we won’t ever be able to get our own home or pay off our credit cards.