Home » Hanafi Fiqh » Seekersguidance.org » Is the Wife of My Paternal Uncle a Mahram for Me?

Is the Wife of My Paternal Uncle a Mahram for Me?

Answered as per Hanafi Fiqh by Seekersguidance.org

Question:

Is the wife of my paternal uncle, i.e. my aunt, a mahram for me?

Answer:

In the Name of Allah, the Most Merciful and Compassionate,

No, the wife of your father’s brother is not your mahram. [Quduri, al-Mukhtasar]

Which Aunts Are Mahram?

The siblings of your parents, whether they are full or half-siblings, are mahram for you. Aunts and uncles, by law or by marriage, are not relatives at all and are not considered Mahram. [Ibid.]

Principles and Good Character

Unfortunately, it is common for people to be less cautious with regards to members of the family, even if they are not mahram. Aunts and uncles, by marriage, cousins, and in-laws such as a sibling’ spouse are close members of the family, however, they are not mahram.

Due to their close relationship, one should be tactful and respectful to them. However, one should stick to their religious principles with regards to touching or seclusion.

I hope this helps,
Allah knows best.
[Shaykh] Yusuf Weltch

Checked and Approved by Shaykh Faraz Rabbani

This answer was collected from Seekersguidance.org. It’s an online learning platform overseen by Sheikh Faraz Rabbani. All courses are free. They also have in-person classes in Canada.