Getting a divorce from a husband who is on drugs

Q: I have been married with nikah for 12 years. In the past 2 years my husband has joined bad friends and has lost his shop, car and all his money to casino and drugs. Nothing I do or say to him makes him change and leave the drugs and casino. From November he even stopped paying rent and
giving money for the house. I had to give notice and move out to a smaller place that I could afford. He is not even worried that I have left or where I am. I have given him enough time to change and come on the right path but he insists on gambling and drugs. I left him last month and have not seen or heard from him. I have sent him a message to give me talaaq but he does not reply. How can I go about getting the talaaq?


A: We advise you to refer the problem to an Islamic Ulama body or the Jamiat of your locality.

And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.


Answered by:

Mufti Zakaria Makada

Checked & Approved:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)