Having intercourse during haidh

Q: One of my patients came to me and was asking me regarding the side effects on the person for husband and wife that what will happen if some one does inter-course with his wife during her mentrual cycle to be exact 4th day of the cycle and was asking me the what is the Islamic point of view on that, is it harm/ or sin if someone does intercourse with his wife during her mentrual cycle? Please give your expert advice.

A: It is a major sin. The effects of a major sin is failure in this life as well as in the next.