A follow up question on the du’a to recite after Fajr and Maghrib for protection from Jahannam

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by HadithAnswers.com

With regard to reading ‘Allahumma ajirni minan nar’ seven times after Fajr and Maghrib, I have two questions:

1. Is there any narration that mentions that this should be said before unfolding one’s legs?

2. If one was reading Salah in congregation and says ‘Allahumma ajirna minan nar’ so as to make the du’a for everyone present, would one still attain the virtue mentioned in the Hadith?

Answer

1) The narration mentions ‘before speaking to anyone.’ In the Hadith books I have referred to, I have not come across a narration which mentions that this du’a should be recited before unfolding one’s legs.

See the Hadith and the references here.

2) The Muhaddithun have permitted those who are well acquainted with the Arabic language to change the words of the masnun du’as to suite the gender, tense etc. without altering the general meaning of the du’a. See here.

You may recite the plural form, you will still attain the virtue insha Allah.

And Allah Ta’ala Knows best.

Answered by: Moulana Suhail Motala

Approved by: Moulana Muhammad Abasoomar

Checked by: Moulana Haroon Abasoomar

This answer was collected from HadithAnswers.com. The answers were either answered or checked by Moulana Haroon Abasoomar (rahimahullah) who was a Shaykhul Hadith in South Africa, or by his son, Moulana Muhammad Abasoomer (hafizahullah), who is a Hadith specialist. 

Find more answers indexed from: HadithAnswers.com