The initial names of Hasan and Husayn (radiyallahu’anhuma)

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by HadithAnswers.com

I heard the following Hadith;

“When Hasan and Husayn (radiyallahu ‘anhuma) were born, ‘Ali (radiyallahu ‘anhu) named them Ja’far and Hamza.” Nabi (sallallahu ‘alayhi wasallam) told him: “I have been commanded to change their names to Hasan and Husayn.”

The lecturer said this Hadith is hasan. Is this true?

Answer

This Hadith is recorded by Imams: Ahmad, Abu Ya’la, Tabarani and others.

‘Allamah Haythami (rahimahullah) has classified the chain as sound (hasan).

(Musnad Ahmad, vol.1 pg.159 Musnad Abi Ya’la, Hadith: 494 and Al-Mu’jamul Kabir, Hadith: 2780. Also see Majma’uz Zwaid, vol.8 pg.52)

In another narration in Musnad Ahmad, [vol.1 pg.98] Sayyiduna ‘Ali (radiyallahu’anhu) is reported to have given them a different name prior to this name change. ‘Allamah Sindi (rahimahullah) states that it is possible that he had given them two names initially, then they were named Hasan and Husayn (radiyallahu’anhuma).

(Hashiyatus Sindi, vol.1 pg.275, Hadith: 1370)

There is no harm in changing a name. Rasulullah (sallallahu’alayhi wasallam) did so on several occasions for various Sahabah (radiyallahu’anhum).

And Allah Ta’ala Knows best,

Answered by: Moulana Muhammad Abasoomar

Checked by: Moulana Haroon Abasoomar

This answer was collected from HadithAnswers.com. The answers were either answered or checked by Moulana Haroon Abasoomar (rahimahullah) who was a Shaykhul Hadith in South Africa, or by his son, Moulana Muhammad Abasoomer (hafizahullah), who is a Hadith specialist. 

Find more answers indexed from: HadithAnswers.com