Home » Hanafi Fiqh » Darulifta-Deoband.com » Can my parents force my brother to stay in a bad marriage?

Can my parents force my brother to stay in a bad marriage?

Answered as per Hanafi Fiqh by Darulifta-Deoband.com
My brother is going through bad marriage since last 16 years and he wants to divorce his wife they don’t have any relationship and don’t even live in the same bedroom my brother sleeps in hall and bhabhi in bedroom with children they have 3 children and they just together because of children but my brother doesnt wants to be in this relationship at all becauze my bhabhi doesnt treats my parents and children nicely and he treid divorcing her many times but my father is to much concerned about the society my brother is not at all happy because of all this he cannot concentrate on his work and has gone into depth as well he wants to give my bhabhi divorce but my father is emotionaly blackmailing him by not taking his medicines my bhabhi had left the house and had gone to her place for 2 and half months she had left the children alone and dint even called up once to ask about them bacause of which my father took tension and got a slight brain stroke and his children also presurised him to get her back because of which he had to get her back forcefully but he is not at all happy please help i want to know can my parents force him to be in this relationship and as we scared that something might happen to my father if my brother takes a firm step and secondly as i mentioned my brother has gone into depth so will he have to pay anything to my bhabhi if he divorces her? and whom will the children be?and also as i mentioned early they dont have husband wife relationship and sleep seperate so does the divorce take place in such condition?please help and sugest what can be done as he wants to be out of this as its affecting his health and his profession life as well and how to convience my father as we cant tel him directly as he is too much worried about his reputation in the society as well as he is forcing my brother to compromise for children and my brother did that for past 16 years but cant live like this anymore.please help and sugest what to do and how to go about as all situation are really going bad and he is to much stressed.


(Fatwa: 936/H=318/th=1432)

In view of the said condition and its detail, it is better to settle the matter. But, if there is no way out at all then you should hush up the matter after giving only one talaq, not more than one talaq.

Allah (Subhana Wa Ta’ala) knows Best

Darul Ifta,
Darul Uloom Deoband

This answer was collected from the official ifta website of Darul Uloom Deoband in India.

Read answers with similar topics: