Q: I would like to sit for itikaaf this Ramaadhan Insha Allah. Being a female please explain to me the laws and rulings or alternatively advise me if there is a website or book that I can refer to.
A: Here are a few basic rules. If you need to know anything in particular, please do not hesitate to write back.
1. She will make I’tikaaf in the place reserved for Salaah in the house. This will be like the Masjid for her. Her eating, drinking, etc. will take place here. If she exits from this place without a valid Shar’i reason, her I’tikaaf will break.
2. If a special place in the house was specified for Salaah, she will make I’tikaaf in that specified place only. If no place was specified from before, it will now be specified and I’tikaaf will be made in this place.
3. A married woman needs the permission of the husband to sit in I’tikaaf. He can refuse permission. However, once he has given permission, he cannot retract.
4. Once he has granted permission and she is sitting in I’tikaaf, sexual intercourse, romancing, kissing, etc. will not be permissible. If sexual intercourse took place, her I’tikaaf will break.
5. I’tikaaf cannot be made when in Haidh or Nifaas. If these take place during I’tikaaf, it will break. If Haidh or Nifaas took place during I’tikaaf, after becoming Paak, she will make Qadhaa of only the day on which the Haidh started.
Moulana Yusuf Laher