Home » Hanafi Fiqh » Askimam.org » My Parents force me to miss Salaah

My Parents force me to miss Salaah

Answered as per Hanafi Fiqh by Askimam.org

My parents are forcing me to miss Salah for Education. Is it correct!

I am admitted to a college where I am not allowed to pray salah. I am missing Asr and Maghrib Salah every day. On complaining this to my parents they are not listening to me and forcing me to go to the same college.

I am not allowed to pray at my college or go out of the college.

I am being forced to miss Asr and Maghrib Salah every day. Every day I am praying Asr and Maghrib Salah at night after Isha Salah as Qaza Salah.

Is it correct that I miss Salah for Education?

Should I obey my parents?

They are blackmailing me emotionally.

Should I disobey them or obey them?

Should I change my college?

Please, give me a direct answer.

Thank you.

Answer

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

As-salฤmu โ€˜alaykum wa-rahmatullฤhi wa-barakฤtuh.

Muhtaram Brother,

We take note of the contents of your email. We are delighted to hear about your enthusiasm, love, and concern for Salaah.

If what you have stated reflects the reality of the situation, then your parentโ€™s conduct is unfortunate and Un-Islamic.

Shariah emphasizes the importance of respecting oneโ€™s parents. Always show respect to oneโ€™s parents. Do not let your religiousness affect your relationship with your parents.

Allah Taalah says:

ูˆ ูˆุตูŠู†ุง ุงู„ุงู†ุณุงู† ุจูˆุงู„ุฏูŠู‡ ุงุญุณุงู†ุงย 

Translation: โ€œAnd we have enjoined upon Mankind showing compassion to parentsโ€

(Surah Al- Ankaboot, Verse 8)

ย 

However, one cannot obey a creation while disobeying Allah. Your parents want you to do anything Un-Islamic, you cannot obey them. ย [1]

It is mentioned in a Hadeeth:

ู„ูŽุง ุทูŽุงุนูŽุฉูŽ ู„ูู…ูŽุฎู’ู„ููˆู‚ู ูููŠ ู…ูŽุนู’ุตููŠูŽุฉู ุงู„ู„ู‘ูŽู‡ู ุนูŽุฒู‘ูŽ ูˆูŽุฌูŽู„ู‘ูŽ

Translation: โ€œThere is no obedience to creation in the disobedience to Allah.โ€

(Musnad Ahmad)

You state your parents are not listening to you and forcing you to attend that college which is causing you to miss Salaah. It is not permissible to miss Salaah due to education. Your parentsโ€™ attitude is unfortunate; you cannot obey your parents while disobeying Allah. The right of Allah precedes the right of parents.

It is apparent that your parents want you to study. Assure them that you will continue your studies in another college where you can perform your Salaah timeously. If you abandon your studies, your parents will get more upset with you and hate Islam and Salaah.

Explain to your parents the importance of obeying the dictates of the Shariah.

Obtain some booklets on the virtues and importance of performing Salaah and keep them within close range of your parents. Try to have home Taaleem on the virtues and severe warnings of discarding Salaah. Employ wisdom when dealing with your parents.

You should try to win over your parentsโ€™ hearts through serving them.ย  Treat them with love, kindness and see to their needs. This will soften their hearts and change their mind set eventually.

You may also discuss the issue with some responsible person in the family, perhaps an elderly reputable person or an Aalim to communicate and influence your parents on neglecting Salaah.

Duโ€™aa is the weapon of a believer. Perform Salaat-ul-Haajah and implore Allah Taโ€™ala to alleviate you from the predicament you are faced with. May Allah Taโ€™ala change the condition of your parents to be in accordance with the dictates of the Shariah. Aameen.ย 

And Allah Taโ€™ฤla Knows Best

Muhammad I.V Patel

Student Darul Iftaa
Lusaka, Zambia

Checked and Approved by,
Mufti Ebrahim Desai.

______

[1]ย ุตุญูŠุญ ุงู„ุจุฎุงุฑูŠ (4/ 49)ย 

ุนูŽู†ู’ ุงุจู’ู†ู ุนูู…ูŽุฑูŽ ุฑูŽุถููŠูŽ ุงู„ู„ู‘ูŽู‡ู ุนูŽู†ู’ู‡ูู…ูŽุงุŒ ุนูŽู†ู ุงู„ู†ู‘ูŽุจููŠู‘ู ุตูŽู„ู‘ูŽู‰ ุงู„ู„ู‡ู ุนูŽู„ูŽูŠู’ู‡ู ูˆูŽุณูŽู„ู‘ูŽู…ูŽุŒ ู‚ูŽุงู„ูŽ: ยซุงู„ุณู‘ูŽู…ู’ุนู [ุต:50] ูˆูŽุงู„ุทู‘ูŽุงุนูŽุฉู ุญูŽู‚ู‘ูŒ ู…ูŽุง ู„ูŽู…ู’ ูŠูุคู’ู…ูŽุฑู’ ุจูุงู„ู’ู…ูŽุนู’ุตููŠูŽุฉูุŒ ููŽุฅูุฐูŽุง ุฃูู…ูุฑูŽ ุจูู…ูŽุนู’ุตููŠูŽุฉูุŒ ููŽู„ุงูŽ ุณูŽู…ู’ุนูŽ ูˆูŽู„ุงูŽ ุทูŽุงุนูŽุฉูŽยป

ย 

ุณู†ู† ุงู„ุชุฑู…ุฐูŠ ุช ุจุดุงุฑ (3/ 261)

ย ุนูŽู†ู ุงุจู’ู†ู ุนูู…ูŽุฑูŽุŒ ู‚ูŽุงู„ูŽ: ู‚ูŽุงู„ูŽ ุฑูŽุณููˆู„ู ุงู„ู„ู‡ู ุตูŽู„ู‘ูŽู‰ ุงู„ู„ู‘ูŽู‡ู ุนูŽู„ูŽูŠู’ู‡ู ูˆูŽุณูŽู„ู‘ูŽู…ูŽ: ุงู„ุณู‘ูŽู…ู’ุนู ูˆูŽุงู„ุทู‘ูŽุงุนูŽุฉู ุนูŽู„ูŽู‰ ุงู„ู’ู…ูŽุฑู’ุกู ุงู„ู’ู…ูุณู’ู„ูู…ู ูููŠู…ูŽุง ุฃูŽุญูŽุจู‘ูŽ ูˆูŽูƒูŽุฑูู‡ูŽ ู…ูŽุง ู„ูŽู…ู’ ูŠูุคู’ู…ูŽุฑู’ ุจูู…ูŽุนู’ุตููŠูŽุฉูุŒ ููŽุฅูู†ู’ ุฃูู…ูุฑูŽ ุจูู…ูŽุนู’ุตููŠูŽุฉู ููŽู„ุงูŽ ุณูŽู…ู’ุนูŽ ุนูŽู„ูŽูŠู’ู‡ู ูˆูŽู„ุงูŽ ุทูŽุงุนูŽ

ย 

ูˆุฃุฎุฑุฌู‡ ุงู„ุทุจุฑุงู†ูŠ ููŠ “ุงู„ูƒุจูŠุฑ” 18/ (433) ู…ู† ุทุฑูŠู‚ ุณู„ู…ุฉ ุจู† ุนู„ู‚ู…ุฉุŒ ูˆุงู„ู‚ุถุงุนูŠ ููŠ “ู…ุณู†ุฏ ุงู„ุดู‡ุงุจ” (873) ู…ู† ุทุฑูŠู‚ ุญู…ุงุฏ ุจู† ูŠุญูŠู‰ุŒ ูƒู„ุงู‡ู…ุง ุนู† ุงุจู† ุณูŠุฑูŠู†ุŒ ุนู† ุนู…ุฑุงู† ูˆุญุฏู‡ุŒ ู‚ุงู„: ู‚ุงู„ ุฑุณูˆู„ ุงู„ู„ู‡ ุตูŽู„ู‘ูŽู‰ ุงู„ู„ู‡ู ุนูŽู„ูŽูŠู’ู‡ู ูˆูŽุณูŽู„ู‘ูŽู…ูŽ: “ู„ุง ุทุงุนุฉ ู„ู…ุฎู„ูˆู‚ ููŠ ู…ุนุตูŠุฉ ุงู„ู„ู‡”

ย 

ุณู†ู† ุฃุจูŠ ุฏุงูˆุฏ ุช ุงู„ุฃุฑู†ุคูˆุท (4/ 265)

ย ุญุฏู‘ูŽุซู†ุง ุนูŽู…ุฑูˆ ุจู† ู…ูŽุฑุฒููˆู‚ูุŒ ุฃุฎุจุฑู†ุง ุดุนุจุฉูุŒ ุนู† ุฒูุจูŽูŠุฏูุŒ ุนู† ุณูŽุนุฏ ุจู† ุนูุจูŠุฏุฉูŽุŒ ุนู† ุฃุจูŠ ุนุจุฏู ุงู„ุฑุญู…ู† ุงู„ุณู‘ูู„ูŽู…ูŠู‘ู

ุนู† ุนู„ูŠ: ุฃู† ุฑุณูˆู„ูŽ ุงู„ู„ู‡ -ุตู„ู‘ูŽู‰ ุงู„ู„ู‡ ุนู„ูŠู‡ ูˆุณู„ู…- ุจูŽุนูŽุซูŽ ุฌูŠุดุงู‹ ูˆุฃูŽู…ู‘ูŽุฑูŽ ุนู„ูŠู‡ู… ุฑุฌู„ุงู‹ุŒ ูˆุฃู…ูŽุฑูŽู‡ูู… ุฃู† ูŠูŽุณู…ูŽุนููˆุง ู„ู‡ ูˆูŠูุทูŠุนูˆุงุŒ ูุฃุฌู‘ูŽุฌูŽ ู†ุงุฑุงู‹ ูˆุฃู…ูŽุฑูŽู‡ูู… ุฃู† ูŠูŽู‚ุชุญูู…ููˆุง ููŠู‡ุงุŒ ูุฃุจูŽู‰ ู‚ูˆู…ูŒ ุฃู† ูŠุฏุฎูู„ููˆู‡ุงุŒ ูˆู‚ุงู„ูˆุง: ุฅู†ู…ุง ููŽุฑูŽุฑู’ู†ุง ู…ู† ุงู„ู†ุงุฑุŒ ูˆุฃุฑุงุฏ ู‚ูˆู…ูŒ ุฃู† ูŠุฏุฎูู„ููˆู‡ุงุŒ ูุจู„ุบ ุฐู„ูƒ ุงู„ู†ุจูŠู‘ูŽ -ุตู„ู‘ูŽู‰ ุงู„ู„ู‡ ุนู„ูŠู‡ ูˆุณู„ู…- ูู‚ุงู„: “ู„ูŽูˆ ุฏุฎู„ููˆู‡ุง -ุฃูˆ ุฏุฎูŽู„ููˆุง ููŠู‡ุง- ู„ู… ูŠุฒุงู„ููˆุง ููŠู‡ุง”.

ูˆู‚ุงู„: ” ู„ุง ุทุงุนุฉูŽ ููŠ ู…ุนุตูŠุฉู ุงู„ู„ู‡ูุŒ ุฅู†ู…ุง ุงู„ุทุงุนุฉู ููŠ ุงู„ู…ุนุฑูˆูู

ย 

ุจุฐู„ ุงู„ู…ุฌู‡ูˆุฏ ุฌู„ุฏ9 ุตูุญุฉ220