Home » Shafi'i Fiqh » Seekersguidance.org » Questions Asked by Non-Muslims

Questions Asked by Non-Muslims

Ustadh Farid Dingle advises on how to logically reply to the questions asked of a Muslim by non-Muslim believers of other faiths.

Question:

Assalam alaykum wa rahmat Allah wa barakatuh.

I am a young Muslim who born and raised in Bangladesh and now living in the USA for the past 7 years. As you know living in the USA around with non-Muslims is a very challenging and I have been asked couple of questions recently by one non-Muslim neighbor who likes to know about Islam but he has asked me couple of questions.

The questions are (1) Why among all the prophets Jesus was the only prophet who did not have any father and my neighbor is claimed that it is mentioned in the bible but not in the Qur’an.Can you please tell me why, how and where it is found in our holy Qur’an. and the second question is (2) Why was Jesus the only prophet who was taken to the haven? Why was Prophet Muhammed, blessings and peace be upon him, was not sent to the heaven?

Answer:

Wa alaykum assaalam wa rahmat Allah wa barakatuh.

Dear questioner,

First of all, when we are debating with someone, we have to agree on a certain logical framework. If Jesus (upon whom be peace) did not have a father and was taken to heaven, does that make him God or the Son of God? The answer is no. If you both agree on that, the rest is fairly easy.

Secondly, Allah clearly tells us in the Quran that Jesus (upon whom be peace) did not have a father. The whole story of Lady Mary is found very clearly in chapters 3 and 19, Al Imran and Mary respectively.

Allah also tell us that that does not make him divine, anymore than Adam, who had neither father nor mother, was divine: ‘Truly, the likeness of Jesus, in God’s sight, is as Adam’s likeness; He created him of dust, then said He unto him, ‘Be,’ and he was.’ [3:59].

Lastly, why was Jesus sent to Heaven and no other prophet? I don’t know. Does it change anything? No. Does that make him divine? No. Why is it that Allah made planet Earth the only inhabited planet in the universe? I don’t know. Does that make planet Earth divine? No. There are many things simple people like me, and smart people alike do not know. But their ignorance of many things often has very little theological significance.

Try sharing this with your Christian friend Habib Ali al-Jifri – Jesus Christ the Son of Mary and His Most Blessed Mother – Book in PDF .

I pray this helps.

Farid

Checked and approved by Shaykh Faraz Rabbani.

This answer was collected from Seekersguidance.org. It’s an online learning platform overseen by Sheikh Faraz Rabbani. All courses are free. They also have in-person classes in Canada.

About 2 years ago I had very severe problems with doubts in taharah and salat. AlhamduLillah, these times are far away, and I feel myself much more comfortable. But unfortunately now I suffer from some new doubts which appeared recently. The first problem is regarding materials which doesn’t penetrate water. Before wudhu I’m in doubt whether there are some of them on my heels and near nails. For example, if I have few yarns stuck to my heels, I don’t know whether they are synthetic ones (which don’t penetrate water) or not. Because there are just a few yarns, I can’t advocate whether they penetrate water or not. Also sometimes I find hair stuck to my nails or heels, and again I’m in doubt whether it penetrates water or not. Also if I have some dirt, I’m also in doubt whether it contains some small amount of water-not-penetrating materials. So, my wudhu becomes quite a long procedure, where I try to look at my heels and nails thoroughly trying to remove all the dirt, yarns, stuck pieces of hair. The second problem is in washing my face. I know that we can’t wash one limb with water which was used for washing another limb. So the doubt is as follows: if washing the face my palms will touch hair, I start to think, that on my hands there is water which was used washing my hair, not the face, so I wash my hands, and continue washing the face with new water. The other problem is that I don’t know what part of eyes should I wash – I understand that we don’t need to wash eyes themselves, but what’s about the red area which is near roots of eyelashes (above, under, right and left to eyes)?