Home » Hanafi Fiqh » TheMufti.com » Acceptance of Salaah for 40 days after drinking alcohol

Acceptance of Salaah for 40 days after drinking alcohol

Answered as per Hanafi Fiqh by TheMufti.com

Q. Is it true that if a person drinks alcohol, their Salaah is not accepted for forty days? Does it mean that performing Salaah for forty days is not necessary?

A. If a person drinks alcohol, their Salaah will not be accepted for 40 days.

Sayyiduna Abdullah Bin Umar Radhiyallahu Anhu says that Rasulullah Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam said: “Whoever drinks alcohol, Salaah is not accepted from him/her for forty days. If he/she repents, then Allah will accept his/her repentance…” (Tirmidhi)

The meaning of ones Salaah not being accepted for 40 days refers to one not receiving the full benefit and reward of Salaah for 40 days.

This does not mean that one’s Salaah will be invalid for 40 days. It also does not mean that the performance of Salaah is not obligatory upon such a person. The performance of Salaah in a sane state of mind still remains obligatory upon such a person.

If after drinking alcohol one repents, then one will not be deprived of the benefit of Salaah for 40 days and one will receive the full reward of Salaah Inshallah. (Mirqaat 6/2385)

Allah Ta’ala Knows Best

Mufti Ismaeel Bassa

This answer was collected from TheMufti.com, which is a fatwa portal managed by Mufti Ismaeel Bassa from South Africa.

can you please provide clarification on the below, I have my haircut with scissors all over, however to make it presentable the hairdresser blends the top of my hair with the side of my hair with scissors , it is longer at the top and shorter on the sides and back but there is no visible line to make this noticeable and is not a (short back and side), although it is more than 2 lengths, i have had this haircut all my life and have not copied any celebrity just something that suits my head, and really i do not look like a thug or any of the sort it just looks presentable.  1.      Qaza’ is impermissible because of the following Hadīth:   عَنْعُمَرَبْنِنَافِعٍ،عَنْنَافِعٍ،عَنِابْنِعُمَرَقَالَ: نَهَىرَسُولُاللَّهِصَلَّىاللهُعَلَيْهِوَسَلَّمَعَنِالْقَزَعِ . قَالَ: وَمَاالْقَزَعُ؟قَالَ: أَنْيُحْلَقَمِنْرَأْسِالصَّبِيِّمَكَانٌوَيُتْرَكَمَكَانٌ[iv]   Translation: Umar bin Nāfi’ that Nāfi’ narrates that Ibn Umar radhiallahuanhuma said: Rasulullahsallallahualaihiwasallam prohibited us from Qaza’. IbnNāfi’ enquired: what is Qaza’? He replied: “To shave one part of a child’s head and leave the remaining part unshaven.”   Some of the haircuts mentioned above fall under the ambit of Qaza’ such as the: crew cut, flattop, rattail and mowhawk (when part of the head is shaved).