Home » Hanafi Fiqh » Seekersguidance.org » Fixing Surahs for the Obligatory Prayer

Fixing Surahs for the Obligatory Prayer

Answered as per Hanafi Fiqh by Seekersguidance.org

Answered by Ustadh Tabraze Azam

Question: Am I suppose to choose two surahs to recite before takbir, or can you just recite whichever surah you want after the takbir?

Answer: Wa alaikum assalam wa rahmatullah

I pray that you are well, insha’Allah.

It is disliked (makruh) to fix specific surahs to recite during the obligatory (fard) prayer. For instance, always reciting Surah al-Dahr and Surah al-Sajdah during the Fajr prayer on Fridays as it indicates preferring part of the Qur’an at the exclusion of the rest.

However, this dislikeness is only if:

[1] You consider them to be necessary or,

[2] You are the imam and reciting them regularly may lead some people to regard their recitation as being necessary (wajib).

Otherwise, there is no harm in doing so.

[Ibn `Abidin, Radd al-Muhtar]

And Allah alone gives success.

Wassalam

Tabraze Azam

Checked & Approved by Faraz Rabbani

This answer was collected from Seekersguidance.org. It’s an online learning platform overseen by Sheikh Faraz Rabbani. All courses are free. They also have in-person classes in Canada.

can you please provide clarification on the below, I have my haircut with scissors all over, however to make it presentable the hairdresser blends the top of my hair with the side of my hair with scissors , it is longer at the top and shorter on the sides and back but there is no visible line to make this noticeable and is not a (short back and side), although it is more than 2 lengths, i have had this haircut all my life and have not copied any celebrity just something that suits my head, and really i do not look like a thug or any of the sort it just looks presentable.  1.      Qaza’ is impermissible because of the following Hadīth:   عَنْعُمَرَبْنِنَافِعٍ،عَنْنَافِعٍ،عَنِابْنِعُمَرَقَالَ: نَهَىرَسُولُاللَّهِصَلَّىاللهُعَلَيْهِوَسَلَّمَعَنِالْقَزَعِ . قَالَ: وَمَاالْقَزَعُ؟قَالَ: أَنْيُحْلَقَمِنْرَأْسِالصَّبِيِّمَكَانٌوَيُتْرَكَمَكَانٌ[iv]   Translation: Umar bin Nāfi’ that Nāfi’ narrates that Ibn Umar radhiallahuanhuma said: Rasulullahsallallahualaihiwasallam prohibited us from Qaza’. IbnNāfi’ enquired: what is Qaza’? He replied: “To shave one part of a child’s head and leave the remaining part unshaven.”   Some of the haircuts mentioned above fall under the ambit of Qaza’ such as the: crew cut, flattop, rattail and mowhawk (when part of the head is shaved).