Home » Hanafi Fiqh » Seekersguidance.org » Must I Make Up Missed Qurbani, If I Did Not Know It Was Obligatory?

Must I Make Up Missed Qurbani, If I Did Not Know It Was Obligatory?

Answered by Shaykh Yusuf Weltch

Question

When I first began practicing Islam, I followed the ruling that offering Qurbani is a Sunna, not a Wajib. However, after a few years, I began to follow the Hanafi madhab, but I had no idea that Qurbani was considered necessary.

So I’ve missed roughly ten years of Qurbani since I first began practicing (my wealth was always above the Nisab). Is it necessary for me to make-up missed Qurbani?

Answer

In the Name of Allah, the Most Merciful and Compassionate

In normal cases, it would be obligatory to make up the slaughter or to give the value of the slaughter animal to charity. [Ibn ‘Abidin, Radd al-Muhtar]

However, in your case, since you did not know of the obligation of slaughtering (Qurbani), you are not obliged to make-up for missed slaughters. This is because from the conditions for an act of worship to be obligatory on someone is that they have knowledge of its obligation or live in a place where such knowledge is easily accessible or widespread. [Ibid.]

Summary

You are not obliged to make-up for any missed Qurbani sacrifices up till now, however, moving forward, if you meet the requirements, such as the nisab, you must perform the Qurbani.

Hope this helps
Allah knows best
[Shaykh] Yusuf Weltch
Checked and Approved by Shaykh Faraz Rabbani

This answer was collected from Seekersguidance.org. It’s an online learning platform overseen by Sheikh Faraz Rabbani. All courses are free. They also have in-person classes in Canada.

Question: How can I concentrate in my Salaah with my eyes open? Clarification of having pants below ankles DETAILS: Assalamualaikum Dear Mufti Sahib,   1)I know that you have to read Salaah with the eyes open, but it’s very distracting, therefore can I leave my eyes open just a little bit and try to make this blurry and blink them a lot to concentrate more? What is the consequence of leaving the eyes closed in Salaah, I heard that if one does this, his Hoor in Jannah will be blind?2) Is peelu Miswaak the best Miswaak or the olive Miswaak? 3) What is the best place to position the hands During Du’aa’; like at face level or shoulder level or hands high up? Should our palms be facing upwards? 4)I heard that it is HARAAM to keep the pants or shalwar below the ankles and that Muhammad (S) said whatever is below the ankles will be in Jahannum. My brother is saying that this Hadith only applies to people at that time or even now who used to keep their pants below the ankle for the sake of PRIDE. Does this mean that regular Muslims who don’t keep their pants above the ankles (not for pride) will not get punished for this sin? Pleas e clarify.5)Are all synthetic alcohols in products useable no matter where the source of the synthetic alcohol is derived? 6) Should we Only act on Sahih Hadith or act on even the weak Hadith too? 7.Can you please give me a detailed description of how the Angels Jibreel, Mikaeel, Israfeel, and Israel look like if there are any Ahaadith that speak of their appearance and characteristics. Jazakallah May Allah (S.W.T) reward u infinitely. Assalamualaikum.