Answered by Shaykh Yusuf Weltch
How do I break the habit of masturbating?
In the Name of Allah, the Most Merciful and Compassionate
Allah Most High will free you from this sin if you are sincere. Take the following steps forward.
Firstly, remember that no matter how bad one sins, if they are sincere, the door of repentance is always open for them as long as they are alive.
For your repentance to be heartfelt, it must fulfill the following conditions:
- Sincere remorse
- Desisting from the sin, immediately
- Having a resolve never to repeat the sin
Secondly, from the depth of your heart, you want to leave this sin.
You reminded yourself of the gravity of this sin and its physical, emotional, and spiritual harms.
Thirdly, apply the following practical advice:
- Consider taking the appropriate steps toward marriage
- Reflect on those things which stir up your desire and lead to this sin.
- Avoid these things as best as possible.
- Try not to be alone unnecessarily.
- Take quick showers and lessen one’s time in the washroom
- Guard your gaze and decrease your intake of food, especially meats.
Seeking Help from Allah
Lastly, pray to Allah Most High to save you from this sin.
Allah Most High says, “Call upon me, I will respond to you…” [Quran, 40:60]
Wake Up Call
The difficulties and tribulations that you are facing may be due to your sins. You should see this as a wake-up call from Allah Most High. This wake-up call is a mercy from Allah.
Allah Most High says, “So We will make them taste the lesser punishment other than, the greater punishment, so that they may return (i.e., back to Allah).” [Quran, 32:21]
Be sincere and strive to please Allah Most High. Hold a reasonable opinion of Allah Most High, and you will find relief.
Take time to look at the following link for more clarity.
Sexual Urges and Masturbation
Does Watching Hijab Pornography Lead to Disbelief?
Also, check this reader:
Hope this helps
Allah knows best
[Shaykh] Yusuf Weltch
Checked and Approved by Shaykh Faraz Rabbani