Home » Hanafi Fiqh » Qibla.com » Order of Quran recitation

Order of Quran recitation

Answered as per Hanafi Fiqh by Qibla.com

Answered by Shaykh Faraz Rabbani

I don’t understand the logic behind the rulings of keeping the order of recitation of the Qur’an during the 1st two rakats of a fard salat. If the order of the Qur’an in textual form is not in the order of its revelation, and it was compiled in this form by Uthman (R.A.) after the Prophet’s (S.A.W.), death, how did this ruling of keeping the order come about? Also, is there a difference of opinion in the matter because I have been to different masajid and most Imams do not keep this chronological order.

Answer:
In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Walaikum assalam wa rahmatullah,

I pray this finds you in the best of health and spirits.

1. The sounder opinion is that the order of the Qur’an is revealed and was set in the time of the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him). [Zurqani, Manahil al-Irfan]

2. This ruling–of the dislikedness of not reciting in order (such that one skips one or two short suras when reciting), and of reciting in reverse (like jumping back one or two suras)–is the position of the Hanafi school. There is difference with some other schools on this.

And Allah alone gives success.

Faraz Rabbani

This answer was indexed from Qibla.com, which used to have a repository of Islamic Q&A answered by various scholars. The website is no longer in existence. It has now been transformed into a learning portal with paid Islamic course offering under the brand of Kiflayn.