Concern for one’s neighbour who is on drugs

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by

Q: My neighbour is a 2nd wife and has 2 boys (13 and 15). She lost her older son 2 years ago. She was in pardah but started getting out of control. She brings strange men in her house that take her childrens phones, games, playstation only to mention a few. She is on drugs and started drinking alcohol. She comes home in the early parts of the morning leaving her kids without food most of the time. She swears and shout at them when she is home. I have contacted her family who are good people. All her sisters are in pardah. They are also fed up with her but my concern is the boys.

My question is, from an Islamic point of view, am I allowed to let the child welfare know about this or is it wrong? I just feel these boys will be better off without her because she is traumatizing them. I have spoken to her and she said she dont care about them as this is her life now.


A: May Allah Ta`ala reward your concerns. The better thing is that if it is impossible to make her think correctly then others should try and take care of the children under some pretext. The child welfare is not the right option. They have no Deen and no concern about Islam. How will they be able to guide the children.

And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.


Answered by:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)

This answer was collected from, where the questions have been answered by Mufti Zakaria Makada (Hafizahullah), who is currently a senior lecturer in the science of Hadith and Fiqh at Madrasah Ta’leemuddeen, Isipingo Beach, South Africa.

Find more answers indexed from:
Read more answers with similar topics:
Subscribe to IslamQA Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to IslamQA Weekly Newsletter

You will receive 5 Q&A in your inbox every week

We have sent a confirmation to you. Please check the and confirm your subscription. Thank you!