Husband leaving his wife alone with his brother

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by

Q: My qustion is about my brother inlaw: He is 23 years old and I am 27. My husband works 7 days a week and he comes home late night. On Sundays and in the mornings and evenings I am alone with my brother inlaw. We live in uk and have just one bedroom and living room where he sleeps. My problem is I am really not happy about sharing my life with him. I don’t trust him and life is hard since I have to cover self while cooking, going to bathroom, etc. I have spoke to my husband about it but he doesn’t care. My brother inlaw lives here illegally and he has got the option to live somewhere else as well by his own, the only difference will be that has to pay his own rent. My husband don’t want that because he is after saving as much as money as he can. I feel angry and especially that I can’t have my privacy and his brother finds out everything I won’t like to tell him and so my in-laws through him. In last time me and my husband are having lots of arguments and he even gave me one talaq for no reason  because we had an argument on his brother. Now my question is: is it wrong in Islam if I don’t want to live with my brother in-law? My husband spends more time with him then with me. I feel upset. Is not my rights bigger then his brother? Shouldnt he be more with me? I love my husband but I feel so much neglected that I’ll say I’ll leave him. My other questions is: What if I complain to the home office anonymously if it’s allowed in Islam. I feel wrong to do so since we paid 7000£ for his brother to get here and I thought it’ll be good so my husband will have some support, but I didn’t know he’ll live with us.


A: It is not right for your husband to leave you alone in the home with your brother in-law. We suggest that you refer the problem to some pious Aalim in your area and ask him to explain to your husband, preferably an Aalim who knows your husband and will be able to guide him correctly.

And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.


Answered by:

Mufti Zakaria Makada

Checked & Approved:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)

This answer was collected from, where the questions have been answered by Mufti Zakaria Makada (Hafizahullah), who is currently a senior lecturer in the science of Hadith and Fiqh at Madrasah Ta’leemuddeen, Isipingo Beach, South Africa.

Find more answers indexed from:
Read more answers with similar topics: