Answered by Shaykh Omar Subedar
In the Name of God, Most Merciful, Most Compassionate
I want to know the meaning of few names to name my child. My husband loves Faris name but I don’t like its meaning or maybe I’m just confused over whether it has a good meaning to serve as a name for my boy or not. I also want to know if any of the following names are in the Qur’an or not and what the origins of these names are;
Please help me in this regards.
The following are the meanings of the aforementioned names;
- Faris: Horseman, rider, cavalier.
- Emad: Pillar, support. This word had been used in Sura Al Fajr /89, verse no. 7
- Fa’iq: Superior, outstanding, distinguished.
- Muheeb: Donator, granter.
- Waleed: Newborn, infant, baby. This word had been used in Sura Al Shu’ara /26, verse no. 18
- `Aarizh: Exhibitor, demonstrator, exposer. This word had been used in Sura Al Ahqäf /46, verse no. 24
- Aarib: Skilled, proficient.
The names that have not been used in the Qur’an which are on this list have been derived from their respective root words / verbal nouns.
And Allah Knows Best
This answer was collected from Mathabah.org. It’s an Islamic educational institute based in Canada. The questions are generally answered by Sheikh Yusuf Badat and Sheikh Omar Subedar.