1

A follow up query regarding Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) choosing poverty

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by HadithAnswers.com
Prev Question
Next Question

Question

Could you provide the source and authenticity of this Hadith?

I saw one site who claim that the Hadith is in Bukhari and another site says says Ahmad. But I haven’t found it in either place. Could you please verify?

On the authority of Abu Umamah who quotes the Prophet as saying: “My Rabb has offered me that He make the valley of Makkah gold for me, but I said: ‘No. I would rather have enough to eat one day and remain hungry one day. Thus, when I am hungry I would turn to You [in earnest supplication] and remember You and when I have my fill, I praise You and give thanks.”

Answer

This Hadith is not recorded in Sahih Bukhari nor have I come across it in Al Adabul Mufrad of Imam Bukhari (rahimahullah).

Imams Tirmidhi, Ahmad and other Muhaddithun have recorded this Hadith.

(Sunan Tirmidhi, Hadith: 2347, Musnad Ahmad, vol. 5 pg. 254)

See the authenticity here.

And Allah Ta’ala Knows best.

Answered by: Moulana Suhail Motala

Approved by: Moulana Muhammad Abasoomar

This answer was collected from HadithAnswers.com. The answers were either answered or checked by Moulana Haroon Abasoomar (rahimahullah) who was a Shaykhul Hadith in South Africa, or by his son, Moulana Muhammad Abasoomer (hafizahullah), who is a Hadith specialist.