The keys of the Ka’bah

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by HadithAnswers.com

How was the key of the Ka’bah given to Nabi (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) on the occasion of the Conquest of Makkah? Was it taken or was it handed over willingly?

Answer

The following narration in Sahih Muslim explains that initially, the key was not handed over willingly:

Sayyiduna ‘Abdullah ibn ‘Umar (radiyallahu ‘anhuma) reports, ‘Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) came during the year of Victory [of Makkah] on the camel which belonged to Usamah ibn Zayd (radiyallahu ‘anhuma). He made it kneel down by the Ka’bah [and dismounted]. He then called ‘Uthman ibn Talhah (radiyallahu ‘anhu) and said, ‘Bring me the key.’ ‘Uthman ibn Talhah (radiyallahu ‘anhu) went to his mother but she refused to hand it over. He said, By Allah, give it to me or this sword would protrude from my back. So she handed it over to him…”

(Sahih Muslim, Hadith: 1329. Also see: Fathul Mulhim, Hadith: 3208 and Fathul Bari, 1598)

And Allah Ta’ala Knows best.

Answered by: Moulana Suhail Motala

Approved by: Moulana Muhammad Abasoomar

Checked by: Moulana Haroon Abasoomar

This answer was collected from HadithAnswers.com. The answers were either answered or checked by Moulana Haroon Abasoomar (rahimahullah) who was a Shaykhul Hadith in South Africa, or by his son, Moulana Muhammad Abasoomer (hafizahullah), who is a Hadith specialist. 

Find more answers indexed from: HadithAnswers.com