Home » Hanafi Fiqh » Askmufti.co.za » Wife Committing Adultery and Status of Kids

Wife Committing Adultery and Status of Kids

Answered as per Hanafi Fiqh by Askmufti.co.za

Q: I am married for 5 years I recently found out my wife has been committing adultery for 4 of the 5 years. I have 2 kids from her but now there is doubt if the second kid is mine. Kindly advise how i can go about handling this matter regarding my wife and the second child.

A: According to Shari’ah, both children are yours. So do not doubt the legitimacy of the second child. (Tirmidhi). 

If you can find it in your heart to forgive her, stay married to her but take precautions for the future. if you do so, Inshaa Allah you will be greatly rewarded by Allah Ta’aala. Remember that this forgiveness entails that after forgiving her, this topic should not be brought up again, whether clearly or subtly.

If you feel that you cannot manage this and that you will falter in obligations towards her, then rather divorce her. It is better to divorce her than bringing upon yourself the sin of not fulfilling obligations towards her, etc.

Do not be hasty in making a decision. Ponder over this carefully.

It will be best to keep her in your marriage if you have confidence in yourself.

Feel free to contact us if you need to.

May Allah Ta’aala guide you, Aameen.

Moulana Yusuf Laher

This answer was collected from AskMufti.co.za, which is operated under the supervision of Mufti Siraj Desai of Darul-Uloom Abubakr, South Africa.

Read answers with similar topics: