1. Is it true that if a person passes away during the Holy month of Ramadan, they will be protected from the torment in the grave?
2. Is it permissible to pray for the dead by reciting Surah Yaseen or any other chapter from the Quran for them?
3.Certain Imams from the Indo-Pak sub-continent do not read Salaah behind a deo-bandi or wahabi Alim. How do we respond to them?
4. There are people who build structures over graves. Is this allowed in Islam? JazakAllah Khair
1) Yes, it is true that a person who passes away in Ramadhaan is saved from the punishment of the grave in the month of Ramadhaan. (Shaami vol. 2 pg. 165, H.M. Saeed and also Fataawa Mahmoodiya vol. 5 pg.299).
2) Yes, it is permissible to recite any part of the holy Quraan and thereafter incur the reward for the recitation on the deceased. Anas Radiyallahu anhu narrates that Rasool alaihis salaam said:’ He who enters the cemetery and recites Surah Yaseen and incurs its reward on the deceased, Allah lightens the punisment for them. Refer to Tahtawi pg.621, Chapter on visiting the graves, Qadeemi Kutub Khana and also Ahsanul Fataawa vol. 4 pg. 205.
3) It is not necessary to respond to them because from experience we know that usually any type of approach to rectify others reaps no fruit but rather more differences are created. Very seldomn is any individual prepared to accept good advice and be corrected. Therefore, the best will be to avoid any confrontation and continue making dua that Allah Ta’ala unite the hearts of all the muslims and unite us all on one platform. Sahaba radiyallahu anhum always strtived to unite hearts eventhough it meant that they should forego their opinions and views and this made them a dynamic force and jamaat.
4) It is impermissable and makrooh to build any type of structure over graves as narrated by Jaabir radiyallahu anhu that Nabi alaihis salaam prohibited the plastering or the applying of white wash on graves and to write on them and to build upon them.(Sahih Muslim, Kitaabul Janaaiz, Chapter on the prohibition of plastering of graves and bulding on them). Refer to Fataawa Mahmoodiya vol. 10, pg.289.
and Allah Ta’ala Knows Best
Mufti Ebrahim Desai