Home » Hanafi Fiqh » Askimam.org » What to do after having a child out of wedlock?

What to do after having a child out of wedlock?

Answered as per Hanafi Fiqh by Askimam.org

Dear Mufti Sahib, When I was young and not a strict practising muslim, I had a child out of wedlock with a non-muslim woman. May Allah forgive me. A couple of years later we had an Islamic marriage performed. 2 years ago, when the child was 10, my wife was guided by Allah and accepted Islam, Alhamdulillah. 1) Is the child considered illigetimate? 2) What can I do to make up for my mistake? 3) What should I tell the child when the subject comes up? 4) Can I mislead people who don’t know about my not being married at the time in order to hide my sin, or should I tell the truth? 5) Should my wife and I have our marriage re-done since she has accepted Islam? Jazakallah.


According to the Shari’ah, one may have a relationship only in a Nikah
(marriage). A relationship out of Nikah is prohibited. Therefore, the
offspring of a legitimate relationship will be honoured as opposed to an
illegitimate relationship.

Shari’ah has advised to perform good and virtuous deeds. It is hoped that
will also compensate for one’s sins. May Allah Ta’ala accept your efforts in
guiding the woman to Islam and make that a compensation for the mistakes of
the past, Aameen.

Shari’ah has prohibited from disclosing one’s faults to another. Therefore,
you should not inform people of the details of the child. As regards the
Islamic marriage to the woman, if she was a Christian or Jew, then the Nikah
is valid or else you should perform Nikah with her again.

and Allah Ta’ala Knows Best

Mufti Ebrahim Desai

Original Source Link

This answer was collected from Askimam.org, which is operated under the supervision of Mufti Ebrahim Desai from South Africa.

Read answers with similar topics: