1

How to Make up Broken Fasts From Ramadan Through Eating or Masturbation? (Shafi’i)

Answered according to Shafi'i Fiqh by Seekersguidance.org
Facebooktwitterpinteresttumblrmail

Answered by Shaykh Shuaib Ally

Question: If my Ramadan’s fast was once vitiated by voluntary intake of food and drink, and another fast was vitiated by masturbation, does the expiation of 60 days of fasting cover it all?

Answer: Assalamu ‘alaykum,

I pray that you are well.

Willfully breaking a fast in Ramadan by consuming food or liquids, or by masturbation, require making up one day of fasting for each day broken, not sixty days.

Breaking the fast in Ramadan in such a manner without just cause is a grave sin. The Prophet, peace and blessings of God be upon him, is reported to have said, “Whoever breaks a day of fast in Ramadan, without a permissible dispensation or illness, fasting an eternity, were he to do so, would not make it up” [Tirmidhi; Nasa’i].

Shuaib Ally

Facebooktwitterpinteresttumblrmail