When Should I Wash My Nose and Mouth During the Ritual Bath(Ghusl)?

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by Seekersguidance.org

Answered by Ustadh Tabraze Azam

Question: As salam alaykum,

I know that washing nose and mouth is obligatory during ghusl but when should I do it?

Last time after washing my head I washed mouth and nose. Was my ghusl was valid?

Answer: Wa alaikum assalam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

I pray that you are well, insha’Allah.

Yes, your ritual bath (ghusl) was valid, and you do not need to repeat any prayers.

The obligation is to wash your mouth and nose, and pour water over your entire body. [Shurunbulali, Maraqi al-Falah]

Allah Most High says, “if required, wash your whole body” [5.6]

If you wash your mouth and nose prior to the ritual bath itself, it suffices, and you need not repeat this washing during the bath itself.

Please also see: The Ritual Bath (ghusl): Obligatory, Recommended, and Disliked Acts

Consider taking the following free class at SeekersHub: Absolute Essentials of Islam: Basic Hanafi Jurisprudence (STEP)

And Allah alone knows best.

wassalam,

Tabraze Azam

Checked & Approved by Shaykh Faraz Rabbani

This answer was collected from Seekersguidance.org. It’s an online learning platform overseen by Sheikh Faraz Rabbani. All courses are free. They also have in-person classes in Canada.

Find more answers indexed from: Seekersguidance.org