Wa Alaikum As Salaam,
Imam Al Mahdi has been mentioned in the authentic traditions, and his coming will be one of the major signs of the hour of Judgment. Regarding this, the Prophet (s.a.w) is reported to have said, ‘Even if there remains from this world a single day, Allah will send a man from us who will fill it with justice, just as it was filled with oppression.’ (Ahmad).
In another tradition, it is recorded that Abdullah bin Masood (R.A) related that the Prophet (s.a.w) said, ‘Even if there remains from this world a single day, Allah would prolong that day until a man from me or from my descendants is sent. His name will the same as my name and his father’s name will be the same as my father’s name.’ (Abu Dawood).
Umm Salmah (R.A) reported that she heard the Messenger of Allah (s.a.w) say, ‘The Mahdi is from the people of my household, from the descendants of Fatimah.’ (Abu Dawood).
There are other traditions that narrate about the Mahdi which are sound and reliable. The understanding from these traditions is that:
- At the end of the world, a person will be sent by Allah to be the leader of the believers.
- He will be from the descendants of the Prophet (s.a.w) from the children of Fatimah (R.A).
- His name will be Muhammad and his father’s name shall be Abdullah. He will be called by the title ‘Mahdi’ (which means guided one), since he will be chosen by Allah to guide and lead the believers at his time.
- He will be from Madina but will be chosen as a leader and the Imam Mahdi in Makkah.
- The pious and righteous Muslims from Syria and Iraq will recognize him and take the oath of allegiance from his hand.
- He will become the leader of the believers.
- He will fill the world with justice and goodness, and will rule in accordance to Islam.
- During his leadership, Isa (A.S) will descend and will perform Salah behind him. Imam Mahdi will be the leader of the believers and also the leader of the armies that will fight against the Dajjal and the unbelievers. Isa (A.S) will be the one to destroy the Dajjal.
And Allah Knows Best.
Mufti Waseem Khan.
This answer was collected from DarulUloomTT.net, which is operated under the supervision of Mufti Waseem Khan from Darul Uloom Trinidad and Tobago.