When do I make the intention for a makeup Ramadan fast?

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by MuslimaCoaching.com

Question: When do I make the intention for a makeup Ramadan fast?

Answer:

Bismi Llahir Rahmanir Rahim

Assalamu alaykum wa rahmatuLlahi wa barakatuhu

The intention is the internal resolve to perform an action. Its place is in the heart.

The intention for a makeup Ramadan fast must be made before Fajr enters on the day that one intends to fast.

The time to make the intention begins from the entering of Maghrib of the previous day up until this time.

Related Rulings

If one has many makeup fasts, it is sufficient to intend to makeup ‘the last’ or ‘the first’ makeup fast that is owed. For example, “I intend to make up the last makeup fast upon me tomorrow.”

For more details about the intention of fasting, please refer to this article: The ABC’s Of How To Fast.

Check out our courses for more details about the general rulings of worship and menstruation.

Jazak Allah khayran

Naielah Ackbarali

References:

• Imam Shurunbulali, Maraqi al-Falah
  • Imam Tahtawi, Hashiyya al-Tahtawi

This answer was collected from Muslimacoaching.com, which was founded by Ustadha Naielah Ackbarali. She studied Islamic studies (Hanafi Fiqh) in Syria for about 6 years with various scholars, including Sheikh Hassan al-Hindy, Sheikh Adnan Darwish, Sheikh AbdurRahman Arjan, and Sheikh Abdullah Rahal. She also studied Hanafi Fiqh in Jordan with Sheikh Faraz Rabbani, and aqeedah with Sheikh Hamza Karamali.

Find more answers indexed from: MuslimaCoaching.com