Husband and wife contemplating separation

Q: One question. My parents have started to drift apart for the past 3 years. My dads mother is very controlling over him and causes fitna. My dad
is a very obedient son and does so much for his parents. He has had troubling balancing doing for his parents and doing for his wife, my mom. Due to this he has not been able to give much attention to my mother. Over the past year my mother and father stopped caring enough to try to get that connection back. My mother is unhappy and wants a divorce. I am devastated and keep telling them to work on it and my mother says she doesn’t have it in her to try at all anymore. She says she is repelled now and does not have any feelings left. I suggested Islamic marriage counseling and that idea was quickly dismissed. What is the Islamic outlook on this and what is Islamic advice and suggestions?

A: If there is no room for reconciliation then they should respectfully talk about a separation plan in the presence of some of the seniors of the family.