Paying zakaat on behalf of one’s wife

Q: One year ago I got married. My wife was gifted with gold from her parents and my parents too. The gold qualifies the “nisab” amount. She is a domestic wife. First I planned to pay zakaat on the the gold in a lumpsum after one year. But being a salaried person I could not do it as per my planning. Now I intend to pay a certain portion of zakaat from my salary each month. Please guide me on how should I calculate zakaat. For example on completion of the first year, the rate of gold was different from now.

A: If you are paying on her behalf then you will need to notify her before doing so. You will calculate 2.5 percent of the value of the jewellery on the day the zakaat became compulsory and pay it out according to your means.