Severing relations with one’s mother for committing zina

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by

Q: My mother has slept with a man 3 years ago. She is now living with him while I am living with my father. Recently she has performed nikkah with the man saying that she has been divorced, but my father was unaware about this.

1. Should I tell my father about this?

2. I dont want to contact my mother from now on so am I doing the right thing? By doing this will Allah be angry with me?


A: Do not sever your relationship with your mother. Continue to be in contact with her and guide her to the straight path. Inform her that since your father has not divorced her, her nikaah with the second person is not valid. Tell her that if she does not wish to remain with your father, then she should respectfully ask him to divorce her. After spending the iddat, she can marry whoever she wishes.

And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.


Answered by:

Mufti Zakaria Makada

Checked & Approved:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)

This answer was collected from, where the questions have been answered by Mufti Zakaria Makada (Hafizahullah), who is currently a senior lecturer in the science of Hadith and Fiqh at Madrasah Ta’leemuddeen, Isipingo Beach, South Africa.

Find more answers indexed from:
Read more answers with similar topics:
Related QA

Pin It on Pinterest