Revoking talaaq after issuing two talaaqs

Q: I have given my wife talaaq 2 times, is she still my wife or is our relationship over? If I want to continue my relationship with her, what should I do?

A: If you did not issue any talaaq prior to issuing these two talaaqs, then it is permissible for you to revoke the talaaq as long as your wife is in the iddat. To revoke the talaaq, you should inform your wife that you are revoking the talaaq. After revoking the talaaq, your wife will come out of the iddat. However, the two talaaqs issued will be valid and you will now only have one talaaq remaining.

However, if you do not revoke the talaaq and the iddat period terminates, it will no longer be possible for you to revoke the talaaq as your wife will come out of your nikaah. However, since only two talaaqs are valid and one talaaq remains, if you both wish to reunite, then a new nikaah will have to be performed with a separate mahr.