Home » Hanafi Fiqh » Muftionline.co.za » Asking for gifts to be returned after khula

Asking for gifts to be returned after khula

Answered as per Hanafi Fiqh by Muftionline.co.za

Q: I have requested khula from my husband and he has agreed but he mentioned that I can keep the mehr, however, his family requests all the gifts that were given to me to be returned to them. As khula takes place in place of mehr, can they ask for the gifts to be returned instead of the mehr? They have a bigger family they have received many gifts from us for themselves and for so many of their relatives. I don’t have much family besides my immediate family, and they only gave gifts for our immediate family. So we will return mehr as per Shariat, but can we ask for our gifts back in exchange for their gifts they want back?


A: No.

And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.

Answered by:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)

This answer was collected from MuftiOnline.co.za, where the questions have been answered by Mufti Zakaria Makada (Hafizahullah), who is currently a senior lecturer in the science of Hadith and Fiqh at Madrasah Ta’leemuddeen, Isipingo Beach, South Africa.

Read answers with similar topics: