Home » Hanafi Fiqh » Fatwaa.com » Process for requesting khula

Process for requesting khula

Answered as per Hanafi Fiqh by Fatwaa.com

Asalaamu alaikum.

I was hoping you would be able answer a question in regards to requesting khula. I have been separated for 4 months and my ex husband as agreed to grant me khula. But i have been told that I need to had to have witnesses present at the time of requesing and/or the request needed to come from an ulima and not me, thus making mu Khula invalid. With my ex husband already granting me separation/unalment of the marriage is there anything else I need to do? Is the Khula valid?

Any help would be much appreciated.



Wa’alaykum as Salam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu,

Khula is where a wife requests a divorce from her husband in exchange of some funds.

If the husband accepts the proposal of khula, then that will constitute a talaq-e-ba’in (an irrevocable divorce). If he does not accept the khula proposal, then the marriage will remain intact.

There is no need for any witnesses, nor is there a need for the Khula to be granted or even approved by any third party.

And Allaah Ta’aala knows best


Ismail Moosa (Mufti)

This answer was collected from Fatwaa.com which is an excellent Q&A site managed by Mufti Ismail Moosa from South Africa. .

Read answers with similar topics: