Home » Hanafi Fiqh » Muftionline.co.za » Compensating for something one stole in childhood

Compensating for something one stole in childhood

Answered as per Hanafi Fiqh by Muftionline.co.za

Q: When I was a kid (5-6 years age), I remember that I stole a balloon from my classmate’s bag. Now, when I am a grown up, I’ve realised that I’ve committed a sin. I’ve repented by heart to Allah. I tried to find my classmate and apologize to her but she is no more in my school. I don’t know where she is now. What should I do now?


A: You can return it or its value to your classmate, and if you have no trace of the person then give the equivalent in charity on his behalf.

And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.

Answered by:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)

This answer was collected from MuftiOnline.co.za, where the questions have been answered by Mufti Zakaria Makada (Hafizahullah), who is currently a senior lecturer in the science of Hadith and Fiqh at Madrasah Ta’leemuddeen, Isipingo Beach, South Africa.