1

Can my Wife Change her Eyebrow Color?

Prev Question
Next Question

Answered by: Shaykh Umer Khan​

Question

Assalamu Alaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh,

Can my wife change her eyebrow colour?

بِسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمنِ الرَّحِيْم

In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful 

Answer

Wa Alaikum Salam,

One of the principles in Islamic law is “الأصل في الأشياء الإباحة“, meaning that things are originally permissible unless proven otherwise. While no explicit narration is available about dying the eyebrows, we can make an analogy with dying the hair on the head. The Prophet ﷺ permitted dying the hair, with the exception of pure black dye, which the scholars have different about. Many Ḥanafī jurists have ruled that pure dye black is not permissible for adornment, while others, such as Imām Abū Yūsuf, permitted it for adornment, especially for the wife to use it for her husband [1].

Any dye used should not contain ḥarām ingredients and it should not be waterproof in a way that coats the surface of the hair and prevents water from reaching, thereby affecting wuḍu’ and ghusl.

Only Allah knows best

Written by Shaykh Umer Khan

Checked and approved by Mufti Mohammed Tosir Miah

Darul Ifta Birmingham

[1] Raddu al-Muḥtār, 6/756 

This answer was collected from DarulIftaBirmingham.co.uk, which is run under the supervision of Mufti Mohammed Tosir Miah from the United Kingdom.