1

Witr in Congregation

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by Mathabah.org
Prev Question
Next Question
Answered by Shaykh Omar Subedar

Question:

In the Hanafi math’hab, are we allowed to pray witr in congregation outside of Ramaźhän? I think I read in Nur Al Idha that we should pray it alone, but I was curious as to why. JazakAllah

Answer:

In the Name of God, Most Merciful, Most Compassionate

Shaykh Burhän al-Dën al-Farghänë al-Marghënänë [d.593 H] writes in Al-Hidäya, “The witr prayer should not be performed in congregation outside of Ramadän. The consensus of the Muslims is upon this.”

Ibn Humäm [d. 681 H] has elucidated this point in his commentary of Al Hidäya, Shar’h Fat’h Al Qadeer by stating, “This is because in one aspect this is a supererogatory (nafl) prayer. Performing supererogatory (nafl) prayers in congregation outside of Ramadän is disliked (makrooh) hence it is safer to abandon performing it in congregation.” [Shar’h Fat’h Al Qadeer, p. 487 vol. 1, Ibn Humäm, Dar Al Kotob Al Ilmiyah, Beirut, Lebanon 1995]

And Allah Knows Best

This answer was collected from Mathabah.org. It’s an Islamic educational institute based in Canada. The questions are generally answered by Sheikh Yusuf Badat and Sheikh Omar Subedar.